Sunday, January 16, 2011

Parker Hilton

This week I am happy to show the work of my good friend Parker Hilton. I am showing his final project from our experimental class from the fall 2010 semester. For these images, he cut, burned, and encased the final prints in a brick of wax.

print encased in wax

It is a very personal project and i am very glad Parker was willing to share it on this blog.

After a series of failed relationships a few years ago I turned to my Dad for

advice, not because I was left heartbroken but because “I canʼt figure you out” was the

most common verbal nail in the coffin that ended whatever relationship there was left. I

needed some sort of clarification. Was it some kind of Hilton mystique I was gifted with

or was it something deeper? After a long talk my Dad ended with, “when your mom

died there is probably a very real fear instilled in you that the important woman in your

life will disappear. It makes sense that you hesitate to let girls in.” I began to think

about the major female figures in my life, and how the majority of those relationships.(be

it an aunt, grandma, or a potential mom replacement) all ended with death or distance.


Since then I have come to terms with my trust issues, and have mostly become

comfortable with them. That acceptance however has left me in a twisted purgatory of

sorts. My comfort zone usually develops an expiration date around the twelve hour

mark and any hopes of a serious relationship usually fall victim to my own subconscious

sabotage.


The ensuing consequence is a perpetual failed attempt at rebuilding trust. Under

a curtain of cigarettes, alcohol, and a humorous lack of self restraint; I welcome women

into my life, but with a hangover and an awkward morning I realize that Iʼm not quite as

available as I thought the previous night. As the physical manifests the emotional the

personality of these girls becomes irrelevant. With the morning, and the nearing

expiration date, the walls come back up and I find myself haunted by another road not

taken.










Parker Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment